Saturday, July 26, 2008

Le Homme Dieu Practice

I was able to get four days of practice on Le Homme Dieu. I have not been here for a few years and I have not had much success here in the past. It usually takes about a 2.25-2.5 pound average to cash a check with a 3 pound average winning it. I wanted to learn as much as I could and figure some stuff out. I was anticipating the fish to be spawning with some maybe being pre and post spawn. I was surprised when I got on the water on Tuesday to find water temp in the high 50's! This is about 10 degrees behind what it should be for this time of the year. I knew it would be tough to find any shallow fish but if the weather did warm up the fish would be up there in a hurry.

I started checking weedlines and flats with crankbaits and swim jigs. I was able to find a bunch of fish when cranking the weedlines with a Rapala DT10. About every 15th fish would be a decent (over 2 pounds) fish. I figured worst case scenario I would catch as many fish as possible and hope to get enough bigger bites to get a check.

I checked a lot of other areas throughout the chain over the four days with mixed results. I did not catch a 3 pound bass during practice which I was not all that surprised by but it would of been nice to get one or two in order to get a little more confidence. I fished every lake in the chain and checked anywhere from one foot to twenty. The best area I could find was what I found on the first day on those weedlines. So, my plan was to play those averages and catch as many fish as I could and hope for a bigger bite sometime in the day. I know I wasn't on the fish to win but I knew I could catch enough to be in the top 15 or so.

No comments: